HEADER - Web

Home About Me Tutorials Recipes Grab a Button Contact Shop Image Map

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Travel Trash Bag Tutorial


Happy Sunday everyone! This weekend I decided I should make something with some old jeans Tom no longer wears. So I went hunting through my Sewing Projects board on Pinterest to see what I could find! You can check out my Sewing Projects board here. After some scrolling this pin popped up:



The pin does take you to a tutorial for that exact pattern you see in the picture, but this morning I just kind of wanted to make my own!

Materials:

- 1 old pair of jeans (Tom wears 32 x 32, and the style was original boot cut)
- Coordinating Thread
- Fabric Scissors
- Rotary Cutter
- Rotary Mat
- Rotary Ruler (is that what you call them? :])
- Iron
- Quilters Pins

Directions:

1. The first thing I did was cut off the bottom seam of the leg I was using. The end was frayed from wear so I just didn't want to mess with it. :)

2. Next, I cut 15 inches off of the leg, pressed, and folded the top down half an inch. 


3. Pin the edges down, and sew a 1/8 inch seam all the way around. 



4. Now fold the top (the side you just sewed) down 2 inches and press. Pin to ensure the edge will be straight, and sew across the top with a 1/8 inch seam all the way around. 





5. Now to add the pocket! I decided this would be a great place to put extra bags so there was never an excuse to throw trash on the car floor! ;) Cut out the pocket and pin to the front of your bag. Be careful to pin it only to the front side and not to the back as well! :) 


6. Sew along the seams of the pockets. Make sure to not sew your bag shut! 


7. Don't forget the top of the pocket too! I realize it could look a lot cleaner, but I don't really mind it. The front of the pocket covers it anyway.  


8. For the strap, cut a 5 inch section off from the leg of your jean. Turn the loop inside out, and cut off what would be the inner seam of the jean so it turns into a strip. Cut along the outside seam and align the strips so you have a straight line. Pin in place, sew along the seam of the jean, and cut off the access fabric on the back.




9. Fold the strap in half hot dog style, with the outside touching and press. Sew a 1/8 inch seam and flip the strap so it is right side out. 


10. Stitch 1/8 inch seams on both sides of the strap. Be careful I broke a needle on this step! :(



11. Pin the strap to the back of your bag. Sew on the straps and cut off excess fabric. 


12. Last step! Turn the bag inside out. Pin the bottom of the bag together and sew using a 1/2 inch seam. Cut off the corners, and turn right side out.


TAH DAH! Your travel trash bag is complete!! :)


I should have retaken the picture after I fixed the bag in Tom's car.. Oops! Let me know how your bag turns out! I would love to see pictures! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment